Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:48:18 -0400

Dear list,

Here is the second part of the summary on responses from those also
diagnosed with either fibromyalgia (FM) or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).
Again, thank you for sharing.

I was diagnosed with Fibro in 1998, then sero-negative RA and then,  2
years later, and several trips to the ER for my gut pain, they found that I
had Celiac. I tend to agree with you that gluten just might really be the
trigger for Fibro. My gut symptoms improved immediately but my chronic pain
and fatigue continues. I have finally found a good metabolic physician who
has found that I have major cell damage from being deficient in lots of
vitamins and minerals from malabsorption. I am on mega doses and I am now
improving. By the way, I'm 50 and have had symptoms as far back as 10 years
old.

******************

I was recently diagnosed CD but was diagnosed about a decade ago with
fibromyalgia.  I still don't feel great ( because of the fibro and lupus )
but I can at least function and feel a bit better on the GF diet.

*****************

I've suffered nearly my entire life with FM/CFS, having been told there is
nothing physically wrong with me and forwarded to the psychologists. It was
only a year ago that I was diagnosed with Celiac, and since then my FM/CFS
has greatly disappeared.

******

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia prior to being diagnosed with Celiac
disease. My "presenting" symptom for celiac was anemia (it's been
documented in my medical charts since my college years and I just turned
50). Last year when my hematologist said I should be scoped for internal
bleeding because no matter how much iron he pumped into me (literally...for
6 hours at a time), I still ended up anemic again. He's the one who said as
an afterthought, have them do a sprue biopsy, even though you haven't
complained of intestinal problems. I was flabbergasted when the biopsy came
back positive for celiac disease.  I have  been gluten-free since April of
2001 and still have what I consider to be fibromyalgia symptoms--pain,
sleep disturbance, and fatigue.
******

I am celiac and have been gf for three years.  My gut is better, although I

have many other food allergies, but the fatigue is unrelenting.

******

I had been ill for well over 30 years to the point of
being home-bound for over half that time because my
fatigue was so bad (not to mention pain, etc!).  I was
diagnosed 2 years ago with celiac disease--the first
diagnosis (of 17 dxes) that even began to make sense.
I have been gf since June 2000, and have made much
improvement, but because of my near-death state
initially (I am not exaggerating here--I nearly died
on 2 different occasions in 1999), I still have quite
a way to go to be at full health.  I am able to walk
now--and can now leave home, drive myself, and shop
about 2 hours at a time, and still have enough energy
to have a "normal" day when I get home.

I was just diagnosed with CD last year, about six years after my
fibromyalgia diagnosis. Several months after going GF, I realized that I
had
no FM "flareups" and very few symptoms. Now, a year later, I feel FM-free!
I'm convinced I didn't have FM at all. The symptoms appear to have been due
to unmanaged celiac disease.

****************

nce I went gluten free my irritable bowel syndrome just
disappeared.   How weird!  (Right!)
But, unfortunately though, I still have all my fibromyalgia symptoms.  My
muscles just ache terribly all the time, it's incredibly frustrating.  I
wish
I was as lucky as so many others I have heard have gotten better after
going
gluten free.

**************

 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago by a rheumatologist.  It
 was called fibrositis back then. ...20 more years of gluten, misery,
 diarrhea (oh, I mean "Irritable Bowel Syndrome") and we get to now, when
 my current doctor, (the one who criticized the fibromyalgia misdiagnosis),
 then misdiagnosed me with MS!

 I finally found the book "Mayo Clinic on Digestive Health" which helped me
 diagnose myself.  The first doctor I asked to test me refused.  Bad timing
 on that, because my pseudo-MS was getting worse all the time and I now
 have permanent nerve damage.  The second doctor finally agreed to the
 blood tests and ta-da! -  Positive on the antigliadin and tTG.

 ******

I was
diagnosed with fibromyalgia 4 years prior to my diagnosis of Celiac.  I
was pretty much unable to function.  Now that I have been on the gluten
free diet I have almost complete relief of my symptoms.  I firmly
believe that in my case, the doctors labeled me with fibromyalgia to
shut me up and it was really undiagnosed celiac disease causing my
problems.  It upsets me when I think about it.  The only reason I was
tested for celiac was that thankfully, I started with gastro symptoms
and it became more"textbook".  My doctor was on vacation at the time and
the doctor on call had a roommate in medical school who had it so he was
familiar with the disease.  After almost five years of suffering, a
simple lab test was the definitive answer.

My chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia symptoms
cleared up when I went gluten free.  I have residual
muscle symptoms from not having been able to work the
muscles properly for over 10 years (from my first
FM/CFS diagnosis to gluten intolerance diagnosis), but
I now tolerate exercise just fine

****************

I developed fibromyalgia when I was 38. I was a marathon runner... The
fibro went undiagnosed for a year and leftme in so much pain that I could
barely function. (about four years...) or so later, I was told I also had
Sjogren'sSyndrome. Another blow to my health. And then came celiac disease,
which also went undiagnosed for over two years. All I can tell you is that
the fibro is much better being gluten-free. It's not gone......but it sure
is better!

My celiac disease became fully symptomatic at about the same time as I
contracted CFS, 26 miserable years ago. Being on the GF diet helped a
little with reducing the fatigue and migraines, but not a lot. I've been
scrupulously GF for 8 years now.

*****

I have been diagnoised with both Celiac and Fibromyalgia,  I have been
gluten
free for about 4 years and maybe that's why I can deal with Fibromyalgia
better than some others that I meet.