From:
Michael Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:08:07 -0800
As mentioned previously, this is a fact-of-life with Windows 98.
You can often get around it by selecting 'Restart in DOS Mode'
from the shutdown menu (instead of 'Shutdown'). If it works,
Windows will close all open files and effectively 'shut down,'
then load a DOS session. You'll wind up with a C:\ prompt
and a blinking cursor. You can safely turn the PC off at this point.

As an added advantage, this is often much faster than the
'normal' Windows shutdown.

Good luck,
Mike Brown in Oakland, CA