From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:56:29 -0600
Joe Portale wrote:

> How does calorie intake play a part in the Paleolithic diet? Many people
> failed the Atkins because he (Atkins) wrongly advised that one could eat as
> much as one wished. Calories are calories, too many you get fat, too little
> you loose weight, and in extreme situations you starve. I have seen several
> web pages that contradict each other on this issue.

Well, the funny thing about calories is that it is different for different
people.
You can feed the identical diet to two people of the same size and activity,
and one will gain weight on it while the other loses weight.  Weight maintenance

also has a lot to do with individual metabolism, tendency to produce too much
insulin or
insulin resistance, digestive efficiency, and a number of other factors, some of
which
I am sure are unknown.  So IMHO it's silly to spend a lot of time counting
calories
to meet somebody else's idea of how many you need.
.
That said, if you eat too much **for you, in your present state of health**, you

will gain weight.  Most people cannot eat as much food as they want and keep
their weight down.

    Lynnet