From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 05:46:53 -0500
On Thu, 16 May 2002 17:16:20 -0400, Marianne Fuller
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>... he seems to advocate saturated fats (primarily coconut oil
>and butter) and to say that unsaturated fats are the devil! Has anyone else
>read his articles?

Marianne, I haven't read this article yet, but I want to, if I get access to
it. Could you post the URL again? I think the last time it didn't work.

To the facts, there's one - ok 2 - things that can be dangerous when eating
high PUFA diet.
1.Getting too much w-6 and too less w-3. That's quite probable, because
there are so few high w-3 fats. Basically only flax if you eat any high w-6
fat oil. Eat enough flax oil.

2.A high PUFA diet can deplete the Vitamin E (Antioxidant) resources of the
body. Because the natural vitamin E is extracted in the oil refinement
process and no longer available. In many oils.
So, just eat natural oils, and you're safe. Antioxidants are important.
Of course you can also eat the whole oil plant
- that's best for the Vitamin E like for many other stuff.
Almonds for example.
Or a oil which still has a high vitamin E content.
Like red palm oil, which has the natural sun and oxidant protection
experience of a palm fruit in the tropical sun.
Including tocotrienols and carotenes.

Coconut oil is great and tastes great.
And a diet high in saturated fats needs less vitamin E to protect the fat.
But this is a bad reason to make one cell walls hard and unpermeable and the
cells more insulin resistant due to a lack of enough PUFA.
You need enough PUFA to complement the SFA.
IMO.

Cheers

Amadeus S.