From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:13:09 -0500
When Windows asks you to install drivers, you should choose specify a location after "search for driver (recommended)".  Then browse your CD until the OK button stops being grayed out (win is looking for an inf file) to do the install.  You might also have this problem if at some point you upgraded an older win modem (which this is if it is stock with a Win 95 950A machine)to 56K by a software flash.  If you or somebody else flashed the old modem which might originally have been a 28K or 33k to 56K, you will need to find the drivers for that at the company's web site, if they still have them.  Otherwise try something like drivers.com.  As for the IRQ problem, disable com1 in your BIOS (that is the first serial port).  Perhaps with the right software the modem will reinstall itself at Com3 or Com4, in which case you can enable Com1 later.

>I have a mess and need some help.  I am definitely not a hardware expert so
>please be detailed in your response (if you can help me).
>
>I have an older PC that I want to set up for my husband to use for e-mail.
>I used this PC for 5 years and was able to dial-up with no problems.  It has
>basically just been sitting for 3 years.  I don't know if this is a factor
>but we moved 2 years ago and I changed ISPs since we moved.  Here's what it
>is:
>
>Dell Dimension XPS P120c
>96 mb RAM
>Windows 95 4.00.950a
>3Com US Robotics 56K Win Int (winmodem)
>
>I could not get it to dial-up, messed around a bit with it, so decided to
>re-install the modem (not a smart thing to do).  So when I reboot and it
>says it found my modem, it asks me if I want to install drivers.  I put in
>the CD for my modem.  When I say yes, none of the options are for the modem
>referenced above.
>
>When I look at my hardware list under Ports (Com & LPT) I see:
>
>Comm Port (COM1) - has a yellow ! - device causing a resource conflict
>Comm Port (COM2)
>Printer Port (LPT1)
>
>I think there was a COM3 and COM4 before I removed the modem.
>
>Can any of you experts help me?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml