From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:53:13 -0600
I know from experience that it will work, but I would do it as only a
last resort. I have soldered Cat 5 wires together a couple of times, but
only as a temporary fix, and it works. I would use heat shrink tape on
the individual wires, and over the entire bundle when finished.

Another way would be to put regular connectors on the ends, and then use
a double female connector to join them. If you do it this way and the
double female is straight thru, you will have to wire one of the ends
like a crossover cable so that the wires are not crossed when they get
to their final destination.

If it is just a matter of needing to pull the cat 5 thru the walls, I
have often used existing cable, phone, or other communications type
wiring to pull new wires down. I simply duct tape my new wire to an
existing one in the attic, pull the old one thru until the new wire is
accessible. Then un-tape the original from the new wire, and pull the
original back up to where it was originally. Just make sure that the
existing wire is not tacked or secured within the wall or you may break
the original wire.

Dennis Noble

>In my office, we have to relocate 2 network points to
>another room where the existing cable can't reach the
>new point. I think, it requires additional 15 meters.
>I just want to know whether it's possible for me to
>just soldered additional cable to the existing one to
>make up the additonal length without losing much
>signal.

>It's quite difficult to lay new cables from the
>existing switch without engaging a cabling vendor.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com