From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 08:26:14 -0800
When you write clicking...do you actually mean a clicking... like the IE6
default sound you hear when you select a web site...or do you mean a static
type sound that runs continuously?

If it does sound like a real click sound,  then check to make sure you
don't have a key stuck, or some running software isn't making it. Does it
just occur when you load windows. Does it start up when the Windows drivers
load? Load windows but make sure your not running anything.. do you still
hear it.

You don't say what OS you are running but check to make sure you don't have
any IRQ conflicts.

The next thing you can try is to remove the sound card from Device Manager,
and let it reinstall, overwriting any files if given a choice.

  If that doesn't work, then try clearing and flashing the BIOS. A corrupt
BIOS can cause static in the sound.

Before you give up you can try a clean install of the operating system, and
all programs. A clean setup. If you don't want to remove your existing
setup, then try installing a second install, on another partition and then
dual boot. If after a new install, the sound is still bad, then it is not
the OS, drivers, or a software program.

If a new clean install doesn't help, then it is most probably the on-board
sound card, a corrupt BIOS, or something on the motherboard. And on a out
of warranty laptop, there isn't much you can do about it that is cost
effective.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

>I have IBM 600e 266 p2 suddenly no sound but obnoxus clicking noise.
>If I mute sound this goes away and everything works fine except of course
>sound . I went to IBM site and it seems to give no advice for sound
>problems other than to replace system board. Could not find sound drivers
>to try. Any one have experience with click syndrom with thinkpad? Help?
>Thanks John Johnston

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com