From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:49:36 +0000
>I'm worried that some on the list could get into a cultist type belief the
>way the vegetarian and low fat groups did.  We have to watch that kind of
>accepting of unsupported "facts" that seem to back up what we believe.
>Has anyone ever read Robbins' "Diet for a New America".  It was a book that
>proposed that eating animals was not only immoral, but was horribly
>unhealthy.  Several chapters studied the literature that "proved" eating
>animals was unhealthy for us all.  It would be good for some of you to read
>this, just to learn and understand how easily data can be used to support
>anything.

I find this very accurate. But the thing that really brought me to Paleo
was the unassailable logic of realizing that every species evolved along
with its diet, successful by design. It is a no-brainer for me to see that
a pre-agricultural diet is probably closest to prototypical for us. So
other than generally agreed-upon notions of the age of humanity compared to
the age of agriculture, I don't need data or studies to point me at a
natural species-appropriate diet.

If and when I choose to bend it, it won't be because of studies. And it
won't be in the direction of grains, either - it just doesn't make enough
sense to me.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!