From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:08:29 -0600
The McLaughlin Group is my favorite show.  If he were to do a show entirely
on the American diet and I were a panelist, here's what I'd have to say and
McLaughlin's response when he bellows, "PREDICTIONS!"

ME: John, slowly but surely the medical profession and the public will adopt
the low-carb philosophy but neither is ready to go "whole hog."
Specifically, people WILL eat more protein and cut back on their carbs but
not by enough.  The low-fat obsession will continue and millions will rely
on soy for their protein.  We'll see improvements in the short run but, down
the line, problems, major problems, John.

JMcG:  REALLY!  What do you mean by that?

ME:  For one thing, there IS such thing as too much protein and if someone
wants to lose weight via this method what they need is plenty of fat and
virtually no one is ready to admit this if they're a doctor or do it if
they're not.  But the bigger issue here is the soy.  It's NOT what we've
been told it is, it's BAD for us and could well lead to major problems in
another decade or so but if you're looking to make some money, John, invest
in soy.  Pork bellies will pale in comparison.

JMcG:  INNNteresting!

Pardon my lame-ass attempt at humor.  But I guar-ohn-TEE that doctors left
and right will go this direction; yes, cut your carbs but only by so much
(i.e. 40/30/30) and eat soy, soy, soy because it's manna from heaven, low in
fat, blah blah blah.  Those stupid bastards!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO