From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 05:20:07 -0500
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 03:00:02 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?ozzie=20abroad?=
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I remember reading once about reports of people living
>in Scotland for centuries being incredibly healthy on
>a diet of only oats, cream/milk, herrings and laver
>(nori seaweed)- they apparently were tall, strong,
>well-built, and extremely fit, and could handle
>freezing temperatures without even noticing!

Yes, very similar it was for the vikings too.
Their mainstay was barley plus herrings.

In inner europe (like Bavaria) oats (like rye) were only found as a weed
for the first 2000 years. 0.1% of all grains.
After iron age (about 3000 y ago) it was used as a crop in the southern
lands too.

Oats are a plant which likes to grow near the sea, likes aridity and doesn't
mind sand. It naturally grows near the sea. Near the coast there is much
earlier usage of oats found. Bronze age and stone age too.

Well and oats are a good fat source. Oats have 7% fat (including some GLA).
7% that's nearly double of the average fat of wild game in middle europe
(which is 4%, according to Speth's study).

For centuries then people ate a mash of either oats or spelt, everyday.
Porridge, like it's usual in Scotland.

For years I ate oats or spelt, soaked overnight and raw, with some apples
and nuts for breakfast. It did very good to me and my digestion.

Amadeus S.