From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:42:59 -0500
From: "Amadeus Schmidt"

> The enzymes not in top working order was seldom the case?
> How could they measure?

Amadeus, I couldn't possibly answer this for you since I'm not a clinician
or researcher, but only a reader who knows as little or as much as the Eades
care to tell me.

> I myself had the DHA level checked and it was fairly high while I didn't
> eat a sigle molecule of DHA within the last 17 years or so.

This I find fascinating.  I didn't know such a test existed.  What is the
name of the test?  I'd like to know what my levels are.

>Low DHA levels I think could be caused by an overall low supply of ALA.

Would it be possible that the Eades arrived at their clinical conclusions
based on this test?  --Just a thought.  If ALA converts to EPA/DHA
(potentially, that is, if the enzymatic presence and action are sufficient),
might a test showing a lack of the end products EPA/DHA point back to
inefficient conversion of ALA, providing that ALA sources were/had been
included in the diet?     I'm also assuming <g> your own diet includes more
sources of ALA than the SAD, and maybe your enzymes are less outcompeted,
too(?)

As for the debate on marine-animals being non-paleo, I'm far from equipped
to engage in a discussion since I'm still--and will probably long or forever
be--at the "Paleo for Dummies" stage.  LOL.  I think, though, that most of
us would agree that based on available evidence and extrapolations from it
we are trying to approximate the nutrient composition and diet of paleo
humans. In this regard and with the exception of your vegetarianism, I
suppose that is true of your diet as well, which may include some, uh,
questionable comestibles. <bg>

Thanks for sharing!  I always find your posts interesting.

deine Freundin,
Theola
___________________
As an aside, here is some info from the canola-pushers touting ALA.  Let us
all rush out and buy some canola margarine and shortening to cook our wheat
germ and soybeans with.  LOL.
http://www.canola-council.org/pubs/omega3.html

"ALA is found in the fats and oils of canola, wheat germ and soybeans;
flaxseed; nuts such as walnuts, pecans and pine nuts; and red and black
currant seeds. ALA constitutes about 11% of the fatty acids in canola oil.
Canola oil is a major contributor to the total ALA intake of North Americans
because it is widely used in salad and cooking oils, margarines and
shortenings.

"Hunter-gatherers who lived 10,000 years ago consumed more omega-3 fatty
acids in their diets than North Americans do today. Part of the reason for
this difference is that North Americans eat ample amounts of cereal grain
such as wheat, maize (corn) and rice, which are low in omega-3 fatty acids.
Today's consumers also eat meat derived from livestock fed cereal grains in
their feed. In short, North Americans do not consume enough omega-3 fatty
acids.

One way to increase omega-3 fatty acid intake is to use canola oil and
canola margarine regularly in cooking and baking."