From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 20:10:32 -0400
On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, Lynnet Bannion wrote:

> My sister also has a lot of problems with insulin resistance.  I forwarded
> her the "Warrior Diet" article that was discussed here some months ago.

I think there's a book out now.

> Warrior Diet = one meal a day, at the end of the day, pretty much.
> She has been trying a modified version, eating almost nothing until
> about 4 p.m., then a reasonable meal, and a smaller meal or snack
> at 8 p.m.  Her energy stays up very well during the day; she is hungry
> by her first meal.  She has been losing weight.  She has reduced the protein
> and fat somewhat, and added a little more carbs.

When I tried this, I had no problem at all eating nothing during
the day.  And if I needed to snack, I'd choose a couple of ounces
of nuts, and that would be it.  But when it's mealtime, my
appetite would definitely kick in.

> This Warrior Diet theory is kind of like the NiCad battery.  If you
> discharge it only a
> little bit all the time, the battery takes a "set" and you can't get very
> much out of it.
> A regular deep discharge allows you to use all the energy.

It's funny you mention that.  The same metaphor occurred to me.

The only issue I have with this approach is that if it really is
desirable to get plenty of protein, it seems like a bad idea to
get it all in one serving.  On the other hand, as Hofmekler says,
the "power of an empty stomach" is considerable.  I'm not sure
what to think.

> I would guess that Paleo man on the hunt ate very little during the day,
> maybe even
> for several days at a time, followed by feasting if the hunt was
> successful.

Dogs seem to have no problem eating once a day.

Todd Moody