From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:09:05 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Phosphor wrote:
>
> > The point is
> > > simple enough: paleo meats tended to be lean
> >
> > no they don't, as i explained at some painstaking length to Amadeus, since
> > nearly all animals must fatten up at some point in the year to account for
> > lean times ahead or mating/nesting behaviours. they are indeed lean at some
> > times, but they are hunted precisely when they are fat. this is not a
> > difficult concept.
>
> For most animals, this fattening up period is in the late fall,
> so the animals can get through the winter.  This is when deer are
> the fattest, for example.  But even then, the deer *meat* remains
> lean.  The added fat is deposited elsewhere on the body.  The
> composition of deposit fat is different from that of the
> intramuscular fat of fatty meat -- which is why suet works better
> than drippings for making pemmican.

But Todd, isn't the depot fat the most saturated fat in the animal, and
SFAs are what Cordain is telling us to avoid? The usda database is
offline at the moment, so I can't check the balance of the supposedly
bad palmitic with stearic and others in fats such as suet or lard. My
hunch is that Cordain is too in love with published research in general
and a bit out of touch with common sense. He admits in his answers to
questions from this list back in March that it is not known whether high
fat, low carb diets are actually protective against atherosclerosis by
reducing triglycerides and small dense LDL even while they increase
total LDL, but in his book he doesn't admit to any of this sort of
uncertainty.

regards,
Hilary McClure