From:
Katy & Ron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 10:57:40 -0500
Never thought of doing it that way, Kath.
Yeah, it would work.
But....I would guess the heat that "rendered" this "recycled" fat
would also mean some damage to the fat?  Also, I have "tasted"
and "smelled" suet versus non-suet and I personally find a quality
improvement in suet.
Katy

From: "Kathleen Lunson" <[log in to unmask]>

> actually I have always made pemmican with ordinary beef fat, twice rendered.
It does not form as much of a solid block as it would with suet.  It is more
crumbly but it is just as edible.  Of course I get the ordinary beef fat for
free by simply saving the fat drainings from unspiced beef I cook, and then
reheating it all until the water is out of it.