EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:32:51 -0400
In any study of folk where braille is concerned and success or failure
is concerned, we need to look at the entire picture.  For instance, what
decides who is and who is not a good braille user?  This is really what
this study is all about.  If you are not a good braille user, your fate
will be the same as that of someone who does not use braille at all.
Why do some use braille and others do not?  Tha answer to this can tell
us volumes about the real issue.  All things being equal, It is not
possible for braille to outstrip other abilities so I would venture
that:
1> a person's success depends less on what they use as a medium of
communication than it does  on how conversant in that medium they are
and:
2> since it takes a good deal of capability to attain true mastery of
braille, this capability if applied equally to other forms of media
interaction that are equally accessible would lead to the same end.