EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Alfieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 06:26:01 -0400
Joe - I am so glad you got to be in this article and meet
Dr. Dobelle - that is awesome!  I have followed his work for
several years online and it is very exciting.
Congratulations on your citing - it is well deserved.

on 06/13/2002 10:54 PM, Joe Lazzaro at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Below is the CNN Artificial Vision article from their web site. I had the
> pleasure of meeting Doctor Dobelle, and several of his patients in New York
> on Monday of this week. Needless to say, I was totally blown away.
>

> Could bionic eye end blindness?
>

> By Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Kristi Petersen
>

> (CNN) --Artificial vision for the blind was once the stuff of science
>
> fiction -- Lt. Geordi La Forge's visor on "Star Trek" or the bionic eye of
>
> "The Six Million Dollar Man."
>

> But now, a limited form of artificial vision is a reality -- one some
>
> say is one of the greatest triumphs in medical history.
>

> "We are now at a watershed," Joseph Lazzaro, author of "Adaptive
>
> Technologies for Learning and Work Environments," told CNN. "We are at the
>
> beginning of the end of blindness with this type of technology."
>

> Any scientific advance would have broad implications. According to
>
> statistics from Research to Prevent Blindness, Inc., 1.1 million people in
>
> the United States are legally blind, while worldwide 42 million people are
>
> without sight.
>

> The Dobelle Institute is among several institutions trying in essence
>
> to create a new cornea through technology. The cornea allows light into the
>
> interior of the eye.
>

> Dobelle is using a digital video camera mounted on glasses to capture
>
> an image and send it to a small computer on the patient's belt: The images
>
> are processed and sent to electrodes implanted in the patient's visual
>
> cortex. The electrodes stimulate the brain, producing a pattern of bright
>
> spots that form an image.
>

> "With this device, you don't lose anything. You actually have a fifth
>
> sense restored, and that is what I just absolutely adore with this device,"
>
> said one of the first eight implant patients to test the technology, a man
>
> who asked to be identified only as Jens.
>

> "You are no longer blind. You might be blind to some objects, some
>
> situations, but you are not totally blind anymore," he said.
>

> A Canadian farmer and father of eight, Jens lost his sight 18 years
>
> ago in an accident. Now he's able to navigate through rooms, find doors and
>
> even drive a car to some degree.
>

> "I was able to very carefully drive and look from my left side to my
>
> right side, making sure I was between this row of trees on the right and the
>
> building on my left," he says. "When I got near any obstruction, I would see
>
> that there was an obstruction. I would also see the lack of obstructions,
>
> knowing I wasn't going to run over anybody ... It was a very nice feeling."
>

> The black and white image Jens sees is not solid, but resembles a dot
>
> matrix pattern. It's like looking at a sport scoreboard with different light
>
> patterns illuminated to show different scores.
>

> The miniaturization of equipment and more powerful computers have made
>
> this artificial vision possible, but it's not cheap: The operation,
>
> equipment and necessary training cost $70,000 per patient.

> [...]

Catherine Alfieri
7 Summer Tree
Pittsford, NY 14534
585-586-1682
Founder:
Monroe County Women's Disability Network
http://www.mcwdn.org
VirtEd
http://www.mcwdn.org/VirtEd2.html
RochEd Online
http://www.mcwdn.org/Roch/RochEd.html
"See with your heart, Speak with your heart!"