EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:29:16 GMT
Hello Judy,

May I conject that part of the problem of typing for many people is holding
and moving their hands above the keyboard, and that bad posture is the
root cause of some typing injury.   So not only should you be looking at
the keys themselves (pressure to operate, tactile feedback, etc.) but
also their arrangement in relation to wrist support and posture.
The people who product the Malton keyboards claim that the symptoms of
RSI (repetitive strain injury) are often reduced when using their keyboard.

There is also the possibility of using a different means of manual text
input, e.g. using chords, which minimize hand movement.  Look on
the typing injury site: www.tifaq.com/keyboards/chording-keyboards.
One keyboard (the orbiTouch) is key-less - you tilt your hands each
in one of 8 directions to produce 8x8 combinations for characters!

Cheers from Chiswick,

John
--
In message  <5.1.0.14.2.20011024155721.0225f150@localhost>
[log in to unmask] writes:

>Terry,
>
>I've had to use very light-touch keyboards for years. Whether or not
>someone uses voice recognition, it can be important to have a keyboard with
>an appropriate level of touch-sensitivity.

[snip]

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London, UK
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk and http://www.wordaloud.co.uk