From:
"Balzer, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:54:10 +1000
Okay Ollie
A furphy is a "false report or rumour" (Oxford Concise Dictionary). It's not
on www.dictionary.com I had thought it was the Queen's English until now
(with an Irish flavour), but the Oxford reports it started in Australia
during the first world war, as the Australian water and sanitary carts were
made by the Furphy family foundry. We use furphy to mean a false lead ,
rather like a red herring or a bad tip or an unfounded rumour.
Ben the dinky-di Aussie