From:
Dave Fobare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:00:05 -0500
If you are going to use something like dijon mustard so that your dressing
becomes a viniagrette, it helps to construct the dressing in the following
manner:

start with a small amount of dijon and whisk in your vinegar(or whatever acid
you plan on using) until you see the consistency you want from the final
product. Then whisk in your oil until you have a balance between oil &
vinegar that your tastebuds prefer. No matter how much/little oil you add,
within reason, the consistency should stay just about the same as when
you started adding the oil.

Also, if you like the taste of roasted garlic as much as I do, you can
substitute
it for dijon mustard as your emulsification agent. For some @#%! reason
my roasted garlic never seems to taste as good as I can get it at a
restaurant. So I mash it up real good(or it won't emulsify well) and make
salad dressing out of it. On top of a bed of good romaine and some
chicken breast -- wow!

DF