From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:24:29 -0400
On Thu, 9 May 2002 14:36:11 -0400 Kathleen Lunson <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
 > it might seem intuitive to assume that we have evolved to fatten up
> in the summer and fall (through carbohydrate consumption)in order to
> survive the winter, when only animal foods would be available,
> except that most humans did not really evolve in temperate climates
> did they?

How long ago did Homo erectus first wander out of Africa?
Our adaptation to different climates goes back that far.

The ability to adapt quickly to different climates is one
factor in the survival of our species all over the world.

Some of my ancestors arrived in cold climates long
enough ago that I can put on a thick coat of fat fairly
quickly......and when I try to lose it using the SAD
weight loss advice, my body screams, "I'm starving!
Winter is coming, and I'm starving!"  and slows my
metabolism to compensate.   Eating the Paleo way
has enabled me to lose weight without making my
body go into that routine.   Of course, living in Florida
does not expose me to the cold that my ancestors
knew, but the good old body doesn't care about
that........it's still remembering the weather in North
West Europe where my immediate ancestors came
from......An old auntie from Scotland once said that
Florida's coldest days were like a "nice Spring day
in Scotland"...........

But I have noticed that I don't want meat as much
not that Florida has heated up for Summer....I crave
salads.....the cool crunch of lettuce and cucumbers,
the tang of tomatoes(yes, I know they are New World
but salads aren't the same without them)....tender
squash sliced into the salad, and anything else that
I find in the fridge......I just don't want all the meat
I wanted back in January......

So, those of you who live in colder states, do you
notice a change in what you want to eat when the
weather warms up?  Or do you live and work in
air conditioned buildings where you don't notice
the weather changes as much?  Does AC make
a difference?

Walk The Path With Practical Feet!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.