BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Dauerty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"I lift my leg and pee on the pantleg of authority." - dangling Callan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:13:54 EDT
Ralph,

    I have no experience with EIFS, but when doing log work we often use
backer rod at the joints between the logs to the reduce the amount of
chinking required.  These backer rods are closed cell foam and look much like
the toys your kids would call pool noodles.  They provide a substrate for the
chinking which is basically latex caulk with sand texture as well as a
secondary seal and help prevent water and critter migration.  I would be
cautious of open cell foam for any building purposes, as it is, quite
literally, a sponge.  The only possible advantage I can imagine is the open
cells would provide a more irregular bonding surface for the Dry-vit.  I
would venture that anything having to do with EIFS is and always has been
useless shit.

Regards,

David J. Dauerty
To The Line Timber Frames