Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 13:37:52 -0400
Hi Wendell,

If your friend's dad is unlicensed, Hamdiham has tutorial tapes etc.

If you are wondering about adaptations for rigs, there are many rigs
accessible to us.  Generally, you need a rig with a voice synthesizer which
will read frequency.  Obviously, a solid-state rig wouldn't require tuning.

For older rigs, we all have made various adaptations.  For example, in my
old TS-820s, it had a 25 KHz calibrator, so if you didn't know where you
were, you can start from a band edge and count the 25 KHz tones.  The knob
turned at 20 KHz per revolution, so I could tune to close to a KHz of the
desired frequency.

There are variable voltage oscillators that you can hook across a meter to
read the relative indication of any meter, such as plate current, relative
forward and reverse power, etc.

Hope that helps.

Steve