EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:22:41 -0500
I have been reading – a little enviously - the lively correspondence on
the Paleofood list.  I’m envious to see things happening over there.  But
I’m also frustrated because the focus on food seems to me to miss the
point.  I’m also frustrated because the variability in quality of the
contributions is pretty disappointing at the bottom end.

To me, the principles espoused by Art De Vany in his powerful page at
http://aris.ss.uci.edu/mbs/personnel/devany/evolutionaryfitness.html
embrace far more than taking in the right foods and taking off the wrong
fat.  As Art says aphoristically ‘take care of the hunter gatherer body
and mind that you carry in that pin-striped suit’.

Evolutionary fitness to me has three planks.  In reverse order of
importance (but in direct order of popular appeal) they are
(1)  Paleo food
(2)  a Paleo activity regime
(3)  an environment of Pleistocene quality to produce food and provide
activity opportunities which reproduce most effectively the key lifestyle
characteristics which drove human evolution over the last 5 million years.

There is so much information to absorb in order to get the right balance
and the right intellectual depth.  Six months ago I started building a
website to serve as an information hub for people who want to learn more
about evolutionary fitness.  There are plenty of other websites which
focus on one or two of the three planks, but no others (yet) that
synthesize all three.

The website is now up, albeit in a ‘draft’ form.  The project took longer
than I expected and writing some individual pages required me to read
three or four full-length books before I was satisfied with the balance,
the depth and the clarity.  I’ll improve the layout progressively, as I
acquire more web skills.  Check it out at www.evfit.com.

Providing there is no strong disagreement among subscribers to the
Evolutionary Fitness list, I propose posting here a paragraph or two every
few days listing recent news items which illuminate any of the three
planks, particularly, those that complement the synthesis of the three.
Let us know what you think.

Warm regards
Keith

To get a copy of the old archives or the FAQ, look in the EvFit folder at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dryeraser