From:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:48:50 -0500

  try some fish oil capsules. Omega-3 oils have helped those with
manic depression. Don't buy cod liver oil - too much vitamin A.
-
I would like to suggest that you might look to another kind of food
that also may be affecting you. Quite recently I have discovered that
yeast foods and especially coffee quite seriously affect the way I
feel and my moods. Maybe what you are experiencing is anxiety. I know
that I had so much anxiety when I was eating gluten that I thought I
was going to come apart and had anger and rage and irritability, etc.

I finally had some other tests done by Dr. Fine which substantiated
my opinion that dairy was really bad for me. He also tested for yeast
and I have auto immune reactions to both of those just like I have
autoimmune reactions to gluten. (I think the coffee problem is fungus
growing on the beans as they are dried). Tea affects ma also. Other
foods can be as destructive to us as gluten is.
-
Your depression and menstral problems could well be a hormone
imbalance and not have anything to  do with celiac. Maybe you should
find a good gynocologist. Considering your age, (I can say that
becaue I am 78) you could well be into the beginning of menopause.
Also I have found that chocolate depresses me and makes me moody &
very easily upset.
-
  you might consider taking some B-Complex, I know Shaklee's B's are
GF.  They really help w/stress and help to even out my moods.  I
notice a big difference when I take it.  I'm currently trying to get
more into my diet because my iron stores are so low.  I too wasn't
diagnosed until I was 43.  Can't say that my PMS just started though.
-
It may be worthwhile to try the supplements that are used for various
types of PMS.  They are subtle and slow (allow several months of
consistent treatment before deciding whether they help or not). In
particular, I think using the evening primrose oil or borage oil
gradually shifts the prostaglandins from a predominance of
inflammatory prostaglandins
to the anti-inflammatory prostaglandins. PMS is complex, but a lot of
the varied symptoms seem like they could be due to an acute general
inflammatory process.   Also, vitamin B6 ( or the very readily
absorbed pyridoxal 5' phosphate form) helps with mood as well as
sensations of bloating and fluid retention. And magnesium is helpful
in reducing headaches, muscle spasms...it also seems to be a bit
relaxing for the mood too.  Look for  the readily absorbed forms of
magnesium (possibly the liquid forms, or magnesium citrate).
-
  Something I've found very helpful is progesterone cream. It's
available without a prescription in health food stores. I learned
about progesterone cream, and how to use it, in a book called "What
Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Premenopause". There is also a book
on, what your doctor won't tell you about menopause. It took several
months for me to notice the full effect. I'm much less irritable. It
also increased my libido (gee! a drug with a good side-effect!) I
also think I noticed a lift in energy level. The book says there's a
progesterone / thyroid connection, so maybe I'm not imagining it.
-
My gyn doc recommended taking Evening Primrose Oil.  I have been
taking it every day along with my daily vitamin and the past few
months have been a lot better for me.  I don't have such mood swings
as you describe, but it might be worth a try for you (I would try it
for 2 months to judge if it is having an effect or not).
-
You could  keep exploring other anti depressant meds. Also consider
checking in with your gynecologist about hormone treatment. I went on
"the pill"- Loestrin- full time- no days off. That evened out the
hormones, and eliminated the problem.
-
I use Effexor, 25 mg. twice a day and am happy.  Been on it for years
& my husband calls it my Happy pill and can tell when I am not taking
it.  There are many other antidepressants out there.
-
I'm only 21 years old, but depression was my biggest issue...
especially PMS.  My doctor put me on zoloft... the lowest dose (25mg)
and I am doing so much better.  It is amazing the difference!
-
You may need hormone 'balancing' for the PMS or you may be going
through the pre-menopause phase called 'perimenopause'.  The
following website has some great general info about both PMS and
perimenopause, as well as menopause and osteoporosis.  I've also
included some herbs that are useful for easing PMS: CHASTEBERRY,
EVENING PRIMROSE, RASPBERRY (Leaf), CHINESE ANGELICA, STINGING
NETTLE, BURDOCK.  Instead of Prozac, check out the herb St. John's
Wort.  It works similarly to Prozac but without the side effects (and
cost.)  You have to take St. John's Wort regularly for several weeks
before you notice any difference, but it does work.  Any good herbal
dictionary or reference can give you more info about the herbs.

<http://www.johnleemd.net/articles/faq_01.htm>http://www.johnleemd.net/articles/faq_01.htm
(lots of good info on perimenopause)
-
My daughter found Remeron to be the only anti-depressant that helped.
It took about 4 weeks to show improvement but now after 1 year GF and
1 year on Remeron, she's doing much, much better.
-
I went on to this medication,molypaxin,which is the only thing that
worked,after many ,many others failed,before I found out about the
gluten issue,so have never checked it's G.F. status.It is made by
Roche and is basically for anxiety,but it's worked for depression
too.My sister did the same run around ,medicine wise until she spoke
to her Dr. about the molypaxin,and now is also a stable happy
camper,Tracy,in south africa
-
In addition to the symptons you listed, I also suffer from severe
migraines at that time.  I have started taking calcium pills and
multivitamin with iron as I heard this helps.  It seems to but I find
I need to reduce salt, chocolate and caffeine as well as highly
processed foods at this time.  I find that I need to plot this time
on my calendar and make sure not much is going on in my life during
that period as a little stress aggravates the feelings.
-
I used to get very depressed once a month. Actually depressed off and
on a lot. Since going gf, I haven't been really depressed ever and
not even anxious, even when things go bad. Kind of like being on
Prozac. However, most of the other problems I was having seem to have
been due to lack of calcium and magnesium (even though I was taking a
lot of it, it wasn't being absorbed). Lately I've been taking a LOT
of it and those problems have been much less.

The reason I mention this is that PMS has a good 'cure' rate by
giving the sufferer extra calcium and magnesium. The treatment takes
about 5 months to work, but the results seemed very good. I don't
remember where I saw the article now, but you could probably find the
study in a net search. Since celiacs are notoriously low on these two
minerals anyway, it might be a good place to start. If you ARE taking
extra calcium and magnesium, you might consider upping the dose or
maybe it just takes a few more months to start working.
-