From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 23:55:55 -0700

Hello, all.

I just got home from a book signing for Melissa Diane Smith's new book,
"Going Against the Grain: How Reducing and Avoiding Grains Can Revitalize
Your Health."  When I scanned the book and saw all the good information in
it, especially the chapters "Shopping against the grain" and "Eating out
against the grain," I knew I had to buy it.  It appears it will be very
helpful in keeping me gluten free wherever I go.  She has help for whatever
choice a person wants to make in cutting down grains, from wheat-free to
gluten-free to grain-free.

The book is published by Contemporary Books, a division of McGraw-Hill,
copyright 2002, ISBN 0-658-01722-5.  It is a paperback, 304 pages, retails
for $14.95.

Melissa definitely knows about celiac.  She spoke to our celiac support
group several years ago, and will speak again this fall.  One of the blurbs
on the cover is by Dr. Kenneth Fine, of Dallas.  He says this is a
"must-read book".  It is written on the layperson's level, and supported
with many scientific references.  It has a good resource section,
too.  Just what we need to fine tune our gluten-free diets.  It is
definitely not one-diet-fits-all; rather it is information and support for
whatever level of grain reduction you choose for yourself.  I wish I had
had this book when I started eating g-f several years ago.

I have no financial interest in this book or its author.  I simply want to
share a book that I think will be very helpful to the celiac community.

Jane
Tucson, AZ  USA