From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 20:01:32 -0600
I think the advent of artificial lighting in the early part of the
last century (see Lights Out by T.S. Wiley) is also a significant
factor.  For those who are not familiar with the concept, extending
our days with artifical light puts our body in a state of "perpetual
summer", a time when we would naturally crave carbohydrates (and they
would be readily available in nature).  The point of eating many carbs
would be to store up fat for the coming winter.

Craving and eating sugar and high carb diets all year round
contributes to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, tooth decay, mineral
loss, etc.

Jana