From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 01:19:32 -0800
On 25 Nov 2002, at 12:55, Tom Hazelton wrote:

> This is a question you probably hear a lot. I recently bought a new kit
> PC and I unwittlingly got a motherboard without an AGP slot.  A good
> graphics card is of significant importance to me ('good' meaning able to
> handle most current games).  Is a PCI card comparable to the AGP
> equivalent?  Or should I return this one and get an AGP compatible
> motherboard?  Thanks for the help.
>
> Tom Hazelton

  AGP has been common on motherboards for at least four years.  Is it
possible that htis boasrd already has an AGP-type video adapter built in on
the board instead of providing a slot to add one?

  As I recall from when it was introduced, the primary advantages of AGP
have to do with cost and flexibility, rather than raw performance.  It isn't
so much that a PCI card *can't* perform as well as a current AGP card, as it
is that the manufacturers who've continued to sell PCI cards know that the
gamer/performance market is not who they're selling to.

  If the board really is four years old or more, you will lokely find it
disappointing with current games for reasons that go beyond just the video
card interface.  It sure sounds like what you've got is a poor fit for the
use you want to make of it.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml