Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:43:49 +1300
I seem to recall reading what seemed to be a reasonably authoritative
article, (may even have been in the Australian PC User mag) about
Uninterruptible Power Supply units, and which stated that, unless you were
prepared to spend quite a bit on a UPS, you are probably wasting your money.

If I remember correctly, it was something to do with the power of the
average lightning strike being way outside the capabilities of most
consumer-level UPS units, except for the heaviest duty, commercial models.

Someone else might like to comment on this.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

From: "Ultra" Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Which UPS?

> currently, in Australia, a cheapest APC model (500VA) will cost about
AU$230
> without shipping cost, that's worked out to be about US$115, APC 350VA
cost
> not much less, so all your good US price doesn't apply here (only rip off
> price always).
>
> I don't have much budget for UPS, as I need to save up for my next
graphics
> card upgrade (maybe a new machine, that enable me to play DOOM3 smoothly -
> hope).  So I might ask all Australia readers here, if anyone knows
cheapest
> place for UPS. my  current search couldn't find any place with UPS I know
of
> at reasonable price (compare to U.S.)
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jun Qian