From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:33:08 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

 >Check item 3 at
 >http://nutrition.hhdev.psu.edu/courses/nutr251/nutr251www/macro/maccadep.html
 >
 >Unfortunately I don't know how to estimate the amounts.  The
 >point is only that fat, like phytic acid, acts as an antinutrient
 >under some conditions.

Item 3 is:

"3. Steatorrhea

"Dietary fat decreases calcium absorption through the formation of soaps.
Soaps are formed due to the combination of fatty acids and calcium. Soaps
do not cross the intestinal wall and are excreted in the feces. This
condition is defined as steatorrhea."

Steatorrhea is a medical condition. It is defined as the passage of fatty
stools that are pale, bulky, frothy, greasy, malodorous and they float.
They may be liquid or semi-formed. Malabsorption and about 100 diseases
cause this. So I see this as a non-issue, unless steatorrhea is present.

Don.