From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:54:16 -0400
Marilyn Harris wrote:

> Andrew;
> How do you reconcile your statement (in Todd's post) with nutritional advice
> such as Udo Erasmus's (from http://www.udoerasmus.com/FAQ.htm);
>
> "Excess protein puts an extra load on liver and kidneys."
>
> Plus the link betweeen osteoporosis and high protein consumption?

I think these have both been pretty well discounted, which is something
most people on this list probably know about. Yes, protein puts an extra
load on your kidneys, but it's what the organs are designed for. It's
not harmful for a normal healthy person. Apparently, the "too much
protein damages your kidneys" argument is based on studies of
individuals with abnormal renal insufficiency. From what I've read, the
link between high protein consumption and osteoporosis doesn't exist.
The opposite is true. In a recent study, three groups were all put on
the same calcium and vitamin D supplements, and on low, medium, or high
protein intakes. The higher the dietary protein, the more increase in
bone mass. This would help explain why hunter-gatherers on high animal
protein diets, have exceptional bone density.