From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 20:25:53 -0500
In news:internal.mailing-list.maelstrom.paleofood, Cindy Frye
<[log in to unmask]> posted on Tue, 21 May 2002 13:01:40 -0500:

> I get a similar reaction with things like melons, which like the
> greens and spinach contain heavy doses of pesticides.  But the extra
> trouble of washing and watching what I eat at those rare times I eat
> out has completely solved my problem.

I used to work in a grocery store known for its emaculate cleanliness and
track record for being conscious of the salad and fruit bar's sanitation.
We had to go out and check the temperature of the honeydew and cantaloupe
once an hour.  If the temperature was found above 41 degrees, the whole tray
was thrown out.  Other food temperatures were taken to make sure they were
within range and they were thrown out if they even fell one degree outside
the acceptable range.  I one lady tell me that ours was the only salad bar
she would eat off of because all the others made her sick.

That said, our procedures for dealing with cantaloupe, honeydew and
watermelon was to soak them for a minimum of 15 minutes in a sink full of
cold bleach water.  They were then rinsed, peeled, and cut up.  But between
each melon, we had to sanitize our cutting board with hot bleach water, and
then plain water to wash off the bleach.  The bleach water had to be changed
every fifteen minutes and the managers did come around to check.

We wore latex gloves.  Each time we switched food, we had to either wash our
gloved hands, or pull them off and put on new ones.  They didn't care about
the cost of the gloves.  They said to use them according to guidelines, even
if we had to go through a hundred pairs a day.

For making salads, we'd cut up the lettuce and put the loose leaves in a
sink full of cold water.  No bleach or other additives.  If the leaves
started turning the slightest bit red, they were tossed.

We also had to go out and wipe the whole salad bar down every fifteen
minutes.  Yeah, it got hectic trying to keep everything filled and clean,
and keeping the preparation area sanitary, but they didn't care... they
wanted it done right and safely.

More places should have such strict guidelines for handling food, and then
they'd have fewer people getting sick.  Our salad bar was a little more
expensive than most, IIRC, about $4.95 per pound, but by god we had no
complaints about cleanliness or sickness from eating off of it.

--
To: Blockbuster Video - This petition is meant to show Blockbuster Video that the DVD community does want rent and/or purchase widescreen DVDs.  The film studios actually listen to Blockbuster, and if they see that Blockbuster is only stocking Full Frame DVDs, it could ruin the entire DVD format for those who enjoy true film.

http://www.petitiononline.com/widedvd/petition.html