From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 03:16:56 -0600
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> On Sun, 19 May 2002, Richard Geller wrote:
>
> > But how can you get a high amount of fat percentage in your diet if you eat
> > lean meats?
>
> I think Cordain's premise is that you don't need a high
> percentage of fat if you get a reasonable amount of paleo carbs.
> His guidelines call for 22-40% of energy from carbs, which would
> reduce the need to get energy from fat.

I think that if you live in a climate with very distinct seasons, in
other words part of the year there is no vegetation because of ice/
snow, you would eat meat and fat for energy in the winter because that
is all that's available.  And in the summer time, when there is
abundant green foraging food, your carbs would be naturally higher
because you'd be eating more plants.

I don't think we are physiologically accustomed to eating the same
foods year round (and even the animals we might eat year round feed on
different things according to the seasons).  Actually I am quite sure
eating the same things all the time helps lead to food sensitivities.

Just thought I would add this, because in my mind Cordain and
Audette's takes on the paleo diet are not mutually exclusive.

Jana