From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 22:30:47 -0400
> I am also having a whole lot of trouble with allergies, even on the
> paleo diet.  The paleo diet has improved them dramatically, but I'd love
> to improve them even more.  What is your typical diet when you are not
> cheating?  And, what kind of cheating have you done, which has resulted
> in worse allergies?

I had bad asthma as well as continual severe nasal allergies. I have always
had them. When I was little, they treated allergies with diet and a few
medications that controlled some symptoms (poorly) and "desensitization",
aka allergy shots. Their chief medicine was ephedrine, a few
anti-histamines, and cortisone. None of these did very much but together
they gave me some modicum of a reasonable life.

My first diet was the "120 year diet", a calorie reduced diet promoted by
Ray Walford. It included sizable amounts of wheat germ. I had continual
health problems on it.

Through adulthood, I frequently got sick with respiratory infections. I
tried Protein Power and then Atkins for weight reasons about 5 years ago. My
asthma got dramatically better, just about went away. I correlated it with
reduction in wheat, corn, etc.  I later discovered allergy to
eggplant/tomato/peppers, although white potatoes don't seem to cause me a
problem.

When I am not cheating (most of the time), I eat Neanderthin, with
occasional grassfed meat and wild fish but more often "natural" meat or
"free range" meat from Fresh Fields, along with occasional restaurant food.

When I do cheat, I wheeze. I still have the nasal allergies and ended up
taking a once-per-day nasal inhaler. While I am not happy taking it, it does
control my symptoms entirely and without it, even on paleo, I have a lot of
nasal problems. I sneeze all the time and end up miserable. Eventually I get
sick, so the inhaler is the lesser of two evils for now.

I would love to find out a way to be entirely drug free.

--Richard