From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:32:44 -0600
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> And there's the crunch. I can't help wondering if *any* of what is
> available to me today was available to man say, 50,000 years ago. More
> to the point, is *any* of what was available to him, available to me?

Common garden weeds are the best source of vegetable nutrition.

chick weed
lamb's quarters
purslane
nettles
plantain
shepherd's purse
dandelion
amaranth (pig weed)

are all edible and they all appear on their own in my yard.  The first
four are really tasty, the rest a bit harder to eat, I have found.

Some of these plants are introduced species to North America, but all
appear on their own without cultivation.

also cat tails and salsify (goat's beard) are said to be very good,
though I haven't tried them.

> Just what can I buy in my supermarket (or grow) that is original "old
> world" food that was available to paleolithic humans?

I think you're right, virtually nothing.

Jana