From:
Kathleen Lunson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 14:36:11 -0400
In a message dated Thu, 9 May 2002  1:55:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tom Barber <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>herds that seasonally migrate in this area do so for more than just water.
>
>>Perhaps the animals evolved their
>rhythms from the habitat.

or vice versa.  they migrate for water and temperature and evolved to favor those who did best on the available minerals

>So I will restate my question from a few days ago:
>Are there different nutritional need in humans that evolved seasonally and
>are perhaps triggered by the length of daylight?

if there are then there is likely to be dramatic nutritional differences between those of, to pick an example, Nordics and Africans.  Do those exist, other than the prevalence of lactose intolerance in one ethnicity and not the other?

obviously the need for nutritional vitamin D would vary by season.

it might seem intuitive to assume that we have evolved to fatten up in the summer and fall (through carbohydrate consumption)in order to survive the winter, when only animal foods would be available, except that most humans did not really evolve in temperate climates did they?

Where I live it is warm and more logical to assume that we crave fruits and vegetables for their high water content during the hot weather rather than for any remnant evolutionary need for fat storage.

That's all conjecture on my part, I assume no one answered the first time because no one had any data.

Kathleen