From:
"Denny, Dawn E" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denny, Dawn E
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:56:22 -0400

I have been feeling terrible for the past 18 months.  My Sx:  completely
exhausted, losing hair, dry skin, majorly depressed, cracking edges of
mouth, and having always been constipated...I began having gas and diarrhea
about 6 months ago.  Then 2 months ago I requested some
labs be done by my general Dr to check for lupus/rheumatoid. These results
were neg for rheumatoid but ANA 1:160, ESR 42, and total Iron 13 ( 25-175 is
normal ).  Ok, my general Dr referred me to a rheumatologist at my request.
The Rheumatologist did some more testing: ANA 1:320, ESR 48, and gliadin IGG
AB 78 ( normal is <20, 20-30 is mod, >30 is strong pos ).  So the
rheumatologist said I have an unclassified anti-inflammatory ( some lupus
symptomolgy ) but I also have SPRUE and referred me to a gastroeneterologist
who I in turn will see in 2 weeks.   Can Celiac Disease causde such a
variety of symptoms?-- exhaustion, hair loss, dry skin, teeth
discoloration/ridges, etc?  Will a gluten-free diet correct any dmamage
already done to the body?  If so ...what percentage of individuals are
non-restorative after gluten-free diet?

--D

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.