From:
unclerichard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:24:48 +1200
Folks: I am not sure whether this is a software or hardware problem, or
indeed a mixture of both.

My local shop has built me a new box as follows:

MB Soltek SL-75DRV4 (VIA KT266A Chipset)
CPU  Athon 1800XP
RAM  512MB DDR
OS MS XP Home edition
HD Seagate 40GB Barracuda 7200 RPM
VIDEO  64MB GE FORCE 400AGP
SOUND  Sound Blaster 5.1 Card
CDR  AOPEN 24X10X40 (w Nero 5)
DVD AOPEN 16X
10/100 OCI NETWORK  CARD
MODEM Internal 56K
Floppy

On delivery it made a whiring sound while booting. The technician (he
delievered it) open the case and decided it was one of the fans. I was of
the opinion that it was the fan of the CPU. The heatsink felt very hot and
looked slightly skewered - though the case was on its side.

It booted to the OS then froze and could not be closed down. The Tech has
spent the afternoon on it without positive results. He believes it is a
software problem with either the CDR or DVD. I disagree, and would like
comments on the following and any other suggestions you care to make
especially any of you with the SL-75DRV4 MB.

1. There is a known conflict between the VIA 266A chipset and the Sound
Blaster 5.1 card. Would this affect my machine? Has anyone out there had
experince with this problem.

2. I am suspicious that the fan failure may have affected the CPU. It is
obviously not fried, but could excessive heat cause the problem. It boots to
the OS then freezes which does to me suggest a heat problem.

Sorry about the length of this post.

TIA

Richard Innes
Auckland New Zealand