From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:41:31 -0600
I recently upgraded to an ATX PII with an LX chipset
and AMI bios.  (W95 rel 2)  (Tyan 1692s)

I play games that use primarily only the mouse, and
the computer power management system takes over
and shuts the computer down after a while.

For example, I play an old dos game that requires
windows to shut down and restart (so I guess that
it is dos - I don't know how much of windows actually
stays around).  (Master of Magic V3.01)

On Saturday the computer shuts down.  The yellow light
on the monitor comes on.  The power led on the case
blinks.  The computer does not respond to any keyboard
input, so I do not know how to wake it up without rebooting.

I reboot and go into the AMI bios and shut down power
management.  I play the rest of the day okay.

Sunday, same thing.  I go into the bios.  The power
management is still disabled.  I activate the power
management and change some of the settings to
disabled, then de-activate the power management
which "greys-out" the settings that I just changed, so
I don't know if I really changed anything.  I go into windows
and shut down the screen saver and everything else I can
find.   (Monitor not power compliant, etc.)
I play the rest of the day okay.  (In a re-booted dos.)

Does anyone know how to keep the power management
features active, yet have the computer stay awake with
mouse (ps2, int12) input?  (It shut down after only a few
minutes on Sunday.)

Does anyone know if the windows screen saver and/or
power management is still active in dos 7?  (I suspect
that it is not.)

Does anyone know how to wake up an ATX system
that is sleeping with the power light blinking?  (This is
a PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 400 power
suppy that cost plenty, so it is a good power supply.)

Does anyone know what  #$^%ing  good a power
management system is that you can't wake up without
re-booting!!??!!
(Maybe I am just ignorant and do not know the magic
key?)

Does anyone know of a source of information on AMI bios
and how to set them up?  I went through and set them the
way that seemed reasonable to me, and the computer would
not even boot!  So, then I went to fail-safe and tried to not
dink with so much, but it irritates me that I can't optimize
the settings.  I am familiar with the bios survival guide, but
it has very little on power management in it.  For those of you
who have never visited, I recommend that you do so.

http://www.lemig.umontreal.ca/bios/bios_sg.htm

Every time that I re-boot the entire memory is checked again,
as opposed to the old  "warm" boots that did not check the
memory.  Is this a "feature" of AMI bios these days?  (My
recent systems have used Phoenix bios, which have a
warm boot.  It seems like my old 386 with AMI did have a
warm boot, however.)  The only way I can see around this
is to go to a short POST, which is not an acceptable
solution.

I would like to be able to use all the features of my system
in general and my power management in particular without
problems!

Dean Kukral
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Wichita State University