From:
Frank B Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:58:01 -0800
I can agree w/ Bob on all but the below.  There is no reason to overlook the K-6
233 or the Cyrix/IBM PR233, and they will save you alot of bucks.  Also AGP is
available on the socket seven boards.. not all of them, of course, but they are
out there..  The prices on the K-6 and Cyrix MX chips are about $150 (K6) and
$125(Cyrix), and a mobo for $125 leaves you with more change in your pocket for
that eight meg video card.  Also, from what I have read and seen, the AGP isn't
much to rave about yet.  It will be, but not as available now.  You can save
alot of money by not getting the INTEL INSIDE sticker...  and you will sacrifice
nothing in performance ... in some cases you will get an improved perfomance.  I
would go with the K-6 first, if I were you.

>consider moving on to PII technology.    You can get a good
>mid-level Pentium2 motherboad & a PII-233MMX chip for around
>$500, (wholesale here in the USA).   This will give you AGP
>support for your graphics card...  and there are a great many
>AGP video cards available, they are the fastest thing available.
>Be sure you get the 440LX AGP chipset on your motherboard.

Frank B Smith

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]