From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:28:30 -0500
The Geforce2 cards will have more processing power than the TNT cards, since
they are a newer generation of video card.  The MX400 has a graphics chip
running at a slightly faster speed than the MX200, but the main difference
between the two cards is that the MX200 makes use of a 64bit memory bus,
while the MX400 uses a 128bit wide memory bus.  This means that the MX200
only has half the memory bandwidth of the MX400, and this factor drastically
cuts into its performance, especially as you move up from a 640x480x16
resolution.  If you are sure that this is the highest resolution that you
will be using for 3D rendering, then the MX200 might be you're best choice.
I generally favor the MX400 (or even the original model MX, if it can be
found) over the MX200, because it is not so crippled by this memory
bandwidth problem.

Actually, the best buy in the same price range as an MX200 is an OEM card
that only Visiontek is currently producing, it uses the GTS-V chip and 32mb
of DDR memory, the Xtasy 5632.  Apparently the GTS-V chip is a slightly
scaled back version of the original Geforce2 chip, the GTS, running at a
slightly lower clock speed than the GTS does.  However, the uses of DDR
memory means that it is not hampered by low memory bandwidth constraints,
which even the MX400 is limited by to some extent.  So, it will perform much
better than the MX cards, especially as you use higher resolutions than
640x480x16.  Although you stated this is not of concern to you, if you don't
save any money by choosing a MX200, you might as well get the better video
card, the GTS-V model.

As to differences between versions of these nvidia cards made by different
manufacturers, they are likely to be all the same, especially as you look at
the basic models.  Where the differences come in is with the addition of
extra features, such as TV out or even video in, etc.  But, these are really
more like model differences rather than differences among manufacturers.
However, I'm not familiar with Eagle and Miracle, so perhaps I shouldn't
assume too much and let someone who does have some experience with them help
you evaluate them.

John