CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 12:37:29 EDT

<< The model of a left-right spectrum doesn't seem to adequately represent the
 reality we are dealing with. Placing people/or groups on a spectrum might
seem
 very neat, but it is better to take a look at their specific actions and
judge
 whether they further or inhibit the spread of liberty AND humanitarianism.

It is difficult to conceive of a future society where humans do not have to
work and where economic systems are no longer operative.  Therefore, a
division of labor seems to be a constant.  Some distinctions are in order
whether you separate the relations of production into owner and laborers,
manager and staff, experienced and inexperienced, some kind of differance
seems plausible.

People should be free before their specific actions and even in spite of their
specific actions, unless they constitute a danger. Freedom or liberty is a
primordial value that should not be functionally evaluated.  Only a very
skeptical opinion would conceive of humans in a democracy as having freedom if
their actions can be judged to further their own or others liberty.  This is
contradictory and denies the current reality of human and civil rights.  I
will grant that few humans actually live this ideality and that most harbor
functionalist attitudes where a person is only granted freedom, or benignity,
if their actions warrant such treatment, but this opinion is so subjectivist,
relativist, and oppressive that I am sure reflection is the curative antidote.
But, I will acknowledge that the way it is is functional.  But, it is wrong.

I don't think you can expect the herd to be impartial, some kind of division
seems requisite.