CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:41:11 -0700
Janie Rows wrote..
>I believe the Israelis were nomads, who found an empty land; a treaty was
>signed; a war broke out.  Basically, maybe not a religious war(?)
>
>And no one wants to share. Or the palestinians wants the "effing Israelis"
>far from them.  Looks like things may be taming down.
>
>janie

hmmmm... 'an empty land'..... and 'no one wants to share'....

You might find this of interest, Janie.

Published on Thursday, March 21, 2002 by Common Dreams
A Jew Seeking Justice
by Jennifer Balkan

As a Jewish American, I feel it is finally my responsibility to opine on
behalf of my Palestinian sisters and brothers:

Imagine if a group of strangers marched into your home and told you that
you couldn't live there anymore. This is the home that your parents
inhabited; your grandparents bequeathed to them. These strangers told you
that thousands of years ago, their ancestors had populated this area,
albeit for a short while. Now they have come to take what's rightfully
yours and call it their own. When you don't voluntarily leave, they
threaten you with violence. Fearing imminent danger, you take your children
and flee. These people pay you a pittance of the value of your land without
your consent and label you an 'absentee landlord'. When you return to
reclaim your home, your land, the strangers argue that because you
separated yourself from your belongings, they are no longer yours. Because
they have attained the title to your home and land, you no longer have the
right of possession.

This is the story of Israel - a stolen land taken from the Palestinians.
The Zionist movement was founded on the principle that the Jews deserved a
land; a land that they could call their State; their home but they would
only be able to identify themselves as a wholly Jewish state at the expense
of uprooting an existent civilization, the indigenous Arab population.

The Jewish claim to Palestine is based on the existence of a kingdom that
reigned for only 414 years (Beatty, I: Arab and Jew in the Land of Canaan.)
The Jewish kingdoms were only one of many periods of non-Semitism. Tensions
between Arabs and Jews began after Zionist settlers arrived in the 1880s
and had bought land from absentee Arab owners. This led to the
dispossession of land that had been cultivated by peasants. In effect, the
Zionists were colonizing Arab land.

The Zionists probably could not have been so successful in their
acquisitions if it weren't for strong support from the British and later
the Americans. The Balfour Declaration was instituted in November 1917 by
the British Government to secure a Jewish Homeland in Palestine. It is easy
to be skeptical of such a declaration as it was fashioned by a European
power; about a non-European territory; and completely discounted the
presence and desires of the indigenous majority residents of the territory.

When Israel was declared a state in 1948, it owned a bit more than six
percent of the land of Palestine. The UN charter envisages a peoples' right
to self-determination based upon the democratic requirement of consent for
the majority of the people - the Palestine Arabs had composed a 2/3
majority at that point it time. Thus, the UN Partition of Palestine in 1947
violated its own law. Since the inception of a codependency between Israel
and the U.S., the U.S. media has done everything in its power to taint the
struggle of the Palestinians. President Truman stated in 1947 "I am sorry
gentlemen, but I have to answer to hundreds of thousands who are anxious
for the success of Zionism. I do not have hundreds of thousands of Arabs
among my constituents" (Pres. Harry Truman, quoted in Anti Zionism, ed. By
Teikener, Abed-Rabbo & Mezvinsky).

Arabs have only responded to an unlawful, undeserved expropriation of their
land. They became refugees in their own villages. Over 750,000 Palestinians
became refugees on their own land during the winter of 1947. But Israel was
not satisfied with its allocation. In violation of international law,
Israel seized over 52 percent of the land in the West Bank and 30 percent
of the Gaza Strip for military use or for settlement by Jewish civilians.

Israel has an historical record of invading surrounding countries, and
currently occupies Lebanese, Syrian, and Palestinian territory against
international law. It has been Zionist policy to kill anywhere from 50 to
100 Arabs for every Jewish fatality. But the U.S. media have never
criticized Israel of inciting the ensuing Islamic terror. Instead, Israeli
soldiers who participate in cruel acts of torture are labeled "security
forces" whereas Palestinians are all perceived as terrorists.

Currently, violence in the Middle East is as high as it has ever been.
Israeli deaths are reported to us whereas Palestinian losses are
dehumanized and go faceless in our news. Our unconditional support of
Israel and its practices portray us as unsympathetic to a robbed people.
Fundamentalist Halacha, or Jewish law, is what is propagating violence - it
condones murder in the pursuit of Zionist expansion. Much like other sects
of religious fundamentalism, it is dangerous and should be feared and
mistrusted.

We can no longer sit idly and watch an indigenous population become
dispossessed. It has taken a couple hundred years for Americans to look at
our ancestors with disdain - those who decimated the original inhabitants
of our land - the once thriving American Indians. We still feel guilt for
what our forefathers stole. Will disclosure of facts and revision of our
textbooks in the secular classroom and in the synagogue someday reveal the
truth about Israel? And will it be too late then?

Jennifer Balkan lives in Austin, TX and can be found via email at
[log in to unmask] Jennifer grew up in Short Hills, New Jersey and
worked her way around the U.S. until finding a permanent home in Austin
where she lives with her husband Jeff and cat Lotus. She received her B.A.
in neuroscience from Lehigh University in 1992 and later went on to finish
a Ph.D. in 2001 in sociology with a focus in demography. Jennifer completed
her dissertation fieldwork in Chiapas, Mexico where she undertook a
research project on rural human migration. Currently she works in Austin as
a demographer