CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bob Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:58:24 -0800
A few off the wall and confused thoughts on Jews, Zionists, and Israel.

If I'm reading some of the comments correctly, some folks claim Israel is
'not' a Jewish state but rather a Zionist state, and that Zionists come in
all colors and religious beliefs. But according to that article in the
Daily Ha'aretz, only Jews are allowed the full rights of citizenship. And
if I remember correctly, wasn't it Jews who demanded that the British
mandate of Palestine be given to them as a country, and not anyone else?
And wasn't it Jews only who brutally expelled the people who lived there,
because 'god had given that land to the Jews' (or some such nonsense)? And
if I'm not mistaken, wasn't it  Jews, and no one else, who claimed that by
leaving their land and property (under threat of being killed) that those
people had forfeited all rights of ownership and return?  And we all know
the Law of Return applies only to Jews. And now we're being told that
Israel is a Zionist state, which really has nothing to with being Jewish?

We seem to be in the midst of one of those situations where, as someone
once say 'words mean only what I want them to mean, and absolutely nothing
else!'

Bob