CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:43:00 -0500
The documents are real. They are cited by Daniel Schorr of NPR, a most
scrupulous veteran reporter; and the attitude is prominently mentioned in
today's NY Times in an article that quotes a Hamas leader to that effect. It
has also been specifically stated that Iraq is paying the families of the
suicides $25,000 each for sacrificing their children. Perhaps the most
twisted notion in human history is that of voluntary martyrdom; even Thomas
a Beckett wrestled with whether he was "doing the right thing for the wrong
reason." Both the reason and the doing were wrong; but, of course, once
dead, he had no way of knowing.