BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 22:15:35 -0400
Hello Pinheads,

Here is a request for information. I'm working on the repair and
refinishing of two hiftoric metal toilet partition panels from the NYSL,
and have some questions about two of the layers of the paint that are on
them.

There are at least 5 coats, on what appears to be 18-20 ga galvanized
steel, dating from around the late 1930's, I believe.

The first coat is the sanded remains of a baked-on factory enamel, a
really dark blackish-green color. Probably discouraged dallying in the
little windowless toilet room.  ;)   (This is from the mens' room, can't
wait to see what color's under the paint in the ladies' ...  ;)  )

The second and third coat are those of interest. They are some sort of
flat, chalky paint, that lightens slightly with water, isn't reactive at
all with the mineral spirts, and immediately dissolves and smears around
with denatured alcohol. If I rub a dry rag on the paint, it comes off a
little in a chalky sort of fashion onto the cloth. It isn't flexible in
the way I usually associate with latex paint and it won't scrape off in
flakes, only powder, from the base coat on the panel. There are brush
marks evident in it. The color is a (more modern) orangy tan shade,
similar to what you see on generic partitions from prior to the 80's,
when the shift to blue-greys and creamy beiges on standard toilet
partitions began to take place. I'm guessing this paint was applied in
the late 50's or sometime in the 60's, because of the color, but I
really don't know.

The fourth coat was only exposed in one small area, and is an enamel
with some gloss, with a stipple, so it was probably rolled on. It is a
pinkish beige color, which enjoyed popularity in the 70's and 80's.
(Prior to the late 70's, most standard partition colors had a more
"putty", or yellowish cast, as I remember it. What the factory called
"Ivory" and "Seafoam Green", we referred to as "babyshit yellow" and
"pee green".)
definitely earth tones ...  ;)

The top coat is an off-white oil semigloss enamel that was rolled on.

The top three layers are consolidated and have delaminated, with the
break being between the two layers of tan chalky paint. The oil topcoat
brings the next two coats with it cleanly, and I'm able to work a
drywall knife under it and lift it off in large strips and flakes in
most places. Anywhere it's still adhering, a razor scraper takes it
right off in smaller, but still pretty large, flakes, with a little
effort.

I'm really curious as to what the second and third coat are, and the
best way to prep these pieces for the rolling enamel (oil base) that I
use to refinsh partitions. Should I remove all of the second coat, and
if so, by sanding, or using denatured alcohol?

Thanks in advance for your help-- I've asked at several paint suppliers
out here (NYC) but no one I've talked to can seem to get past the fact
that I'm working on toilet partitions. They were also awfully busy, and
I don't think they completely understood what or why I was asking. I
really miss my paint guy back home  ;) ...

deb