From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:13:14 -0700
Hi Michael,

I am totally blind and use a 746.  I love it and do have the synthesizer
installed.  I can't speak to the Kenwoods but can tell you I run most
functions with no sighted help at all.  No, the menus are not accessible via
voice and I have my xyl help me if I need to change something.  However,
this is very infrequent since most functions for everyday operation are
accessible through front panel buttons or knobs unlike rigs such as the 706.
The synthesizer does speak S meter reading and frequency.  If I am operating
split, I can hold in the button that lets me move the transmit frequency
without moving the RX frequency and then press the speech button while this
is held in and I can read my transmit freq.  So, if a station says he is
listening up 5, I can put it right on the money.  There is also a custom
built computer interface program available through a gentleman on this list
which make sit very easy to operate the 746 using the computer.

If I remember right, on the 756 Pro, you can change the display
characteristics including background and foreground color but I'm not sure
of that since these are out of my league and color doesn't make any
difference to me.

I hope this helps.  Please write back if I can be of any further help.  73
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450