CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Martin W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:21:56 +0200
David Griffin wrote:
> martin writes:
> First you said Jewish is a cultural term not a religious one,>
> > but then you said that anything anti-Jewish is anti-semitic,
>
> Yes. But anti-Zionism is not anti-semitic. But, since you don't understand
> the differences here, you are going to continue to be confused.

Yes, I do.  That is exactly what I have argued from the beginning.

> > which means
> > Jewish is a racial term, since Semite is a racial term.  Now you're
> > saying Jewish is an ethnic term, but Palestinian is not.
>
> I don't know where you get these things from what I said. Judaism refers, in
> different contexts, to the religion of people, the history of a people, the
> ethnicity of a people, and, in the case of Zionists, the national statehood
> of a people.

Yes, but the terms Judaism and Jewish *always* refer to the religion.
Whatever else they refer to, they always refer to the religion, unless
you explicitly rule out the religion component by saying for example
"the history of the Jewish people" or "some ethnic quality of Jewish
people."  Otherwise, if you "Jewish history" or "Jewish quality,"
whoever you are speaking to will correctly assume you are referring to
the Jewish religion.

> If you want to reduce it to one finite set of definitions with
> one-to-one relationships, you're never going to be satisfied.

But I *am* satisfied.

martin

--
Martin Smith               email: [log in to unmask]
Vollsveien 9               tel. : +47 6783 1188