BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Flasar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:49:52 EST
Hi all,
    I'm new to this list, have jooined it in the hopes of learning about the
cutting edge - and range - of blind-assistive technology.
     My name is Dan Flasar, I'm a system manager at washington University
School of Medicine in St. Louis, MO.  I becamelegally blind about 5 years ago.
My blindness consists primarily in beingunable to read printed material w/ any
significant efficiency.  I havec good peripheral vision, can get along with no
mobility problems.  I use a speech synthecizer on a laptop to access
filesandweb pages and the lot.  I am looking for internet disucssion groups,
web sites, etc., to help me learn of similarly visually impaired folks and how
they cope with the tasks of personal infomraztion management - address books,
personal finance, planning - in other words, I'm interested in how blind folks
gather, process,store and retrieve information, using computers and
technology.

     Forgive this likely off-topic request.  I've had experience with
discussion lists - I launchyed successful lists for organ transplant
recipients (TRNSPLNT) and dialysis patients (DIALYSIS) 4 and 6 years ago.
They were very useful to me and to themembers.  Are there such lists out there
for sharing strategies in coping with a visualy-oirented society?

thanks,
  Dan Flasar
  Wash. U. School of Medicine
   St. Louis, MO