From:
Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:00:36 -0800

I just got off the phone with Disney's Chief Chris.  I called him yesterday
after one of the Celiac list members requested information on how to eat
gluten free at the park.

Chief Chris doesn't carry a list and prefers "the personal touch" of talking
to people one to one.  He was extremely knowledgeable about Celiac disease
and food allergies.  He said to feel free to ask any of the restaurant
managers to show you the actual boxes anything comes in if you want to read
the ingredients yourself.  Additionally he stated there are a number of
Celiacs working at the park, who have helped make Disney more aware of the
difficulties we folk have eating out.

Should anyone make a reservation to stay at any of Disney's many hotels if
you call in advance and request gluten free meals they will accommodate your
every need (regardless of your dietary requirements); even going so far as
to purchase whatever special foods are needed from local health food stores.
I found this delightfully refreshing news, and a great comfort.

Chief Chris can be reached at (714) 781-6569.  Leave a message and he will
get back to you within 24 hours.  He loves talking with people, and seems
genuinely interested in helping visitors have the best time possible (and
safest eating experience) while at Disneyland.

Here is a list of the restaurants and foods he gave me which are gluten
free.

Location:  Throughout the park - all of the vanilla ice cream is gluten
free.  Additionally they serve Hagan Daz ice cream bars which he believes
are gluten free as well.  Suggested you check the packaging.  There are two
McDonald's stands located in the park, one in Adventure Land and I forget
where the other is, both sell only French fries.  These fries are gluten
free - however if you're sensitive to soy, the oil used is soy based so take
care.

Main Street
Carnation Pavilion - Only good for breakfast called "Oscar Special"
Consists of scrambled eggs, Hormel Bacon (gluten free) and will sub
croissant with either fresh fruit or cottage cheese.

Tomorrow Land
Red Rocket's Pizza Port
They have rice noodles available and will cook them for you upon request
with a special marinara sauce.  They also have a number of salads available
there.

Club Buzz
Chicken Caesar Salad (request it be made fresh WITHOUT CROUTONS)
Hamburger patties are pure beef and the French fries are made in a dedicated
fryer.  But he suggested you order your fries separately so they don't get
placed next to anything containing gluten.  The grilled chicken breast is
ok, he checked the ingredients when someone expressed concern that they
contain modified food starch, which he said came from either tapioca or rice
starch ... NOT WHEAT.  The fruit plate there is also gluten free.  The park
only uses Heinz Catsup which he stated is also gluten free.

Frontier Land
Rancho de Zocalo
The refried beans are gluten free, as are the corn tortias (which are made
in Disney kitchens) when I asked about the possibility of cross
contamination in the area where the tortias are made he said he'd have to
get back to me, as this is a new restaurant and they are still in the
process of finalizing their menu and all the ingredients.   Suggested you
wait on the tortias until he finds out.

Stage Door Cafe
Hamburger patties, hot dogs (all the hot dogs served in Disney are Hormel
and gluten free) and salads.  You can purchase an order of McDonald's French
fries just outside.

Adventure Land

TIKI Juice Bar (next to and inside TIKI Room waiting area)
Gluten free beverages and Dole whip soft serve which is both gluten and
dairy free (yeah!) however, I don't know if it's soy free as well.

Bengal BBQ
They serve three different skewers - Beef, Chicken and Veggie.  You need to
special order and request NO marinade and NO sauce, as neither are gluten
free.  However, they cook up special orders all the time for people with
Celiac disease.

Blue Bayou Restaurant (need reservations)
Everything there is cooked to order, and they will be more than happy to fix
you whatever you want.

Critter Country
(Formerly Country Bear Jamboree)
Hungry Bear
Hamburger Patties, BBQ Chicken (Bull's-eye BBQ sauce is gluten free) and
various salads.

Fantasy Land
Village House
Hamburger Patties, Hormel Hot Dogs, Fruit Salad and Gluten Free Yogurt

I hope this information proves helpful.  If anyone needs any further info on
Anaheim area restaurants, stores and Trader Joe's in the area, let me know
as I live in the middle of the Anaheim Resort Area and would be more than
happy to check things out for anyone on the list.

Love and Care,

Jeanne Barkemeijer de Wit