From:
Diana Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:44:41 -0500

Thanks to all who gave advice!
Basic tips were as follows:
At the very minimum keep your own toaster, flour sifter, collander,
cutting board (esp. if it is wooden since wood is porous), and teflon or
cast iron pans (because they seem to be porous as well). A few
people said it might be good to use stainless steel pans since they
can be scrubbed well and I'm assuming aren't porous.
So porous=not good, non-porous=good(?).

No one mentioned sponges/rags for cleaning dishes-- should they be
separated as well? (they are certainly porous)

I posted most of the responses below if you care to read:

"Some people also avoid shared non-stick or teflon pans and
utensils. The non-stick material is porous and can never be cleaned
completely."

"I do have separate toasters flour sifters.  Another questionable item
would be a colander - I'm not sure all the holes get clean."

"Nonstick and cast iron cookware cannot be shared."

"I'd strongly recommend sticking with stainless cookware when
starting out; I happen to also have a cast iron pan that's used for
strictly safe gluten free foods sometimes too. (and this is within a
totally gluten free kitchen)"

"Be sure to use aluminum foil on any baking sheets that are used for
glutened foods."

"Also, some people seem pretty certain that non-stick pans can leach
out previous gluten, especially if used to boil or simmer liquids such
as soup.  Stainless pans are good because they can be scrubbed
with steel wool."

"I prefer a wooden cutting board but if I were in your place I would buy
a plastic one and write my name on it with permanent marker."

"I read that you should not use a collendar that has been used for food
containing gluten (such as pasta) because it is impossible to ever get
it all out, even in a dishwasher."

"I am not an expert in anything.  I do live with my own family of
non-celiac (five) my being the only GF.  I separate all of my food
products from theirs. Non-perishable are in containers and a separate
shelf for perishables in the refrigerator...Things you shouldn't share
are margarine and anything that might be (double dipped) in the food
categories that you can both have like jam or jelly, etc.

I am personally very careful of anything with a porous surface ie:
aluminum or cast iron pans or any plastic or older items that have had
gluten products repeatedly cooked &/or especially microwaved in
them.  The gluten could have leeched into any porous surfaces just
like your cutting board and spoon.  Another utensil that shouldn't be
shared is the vegetable & pasta strainer. (The little holes make me
very suspicious as far as being able to clean properly.)  Stainless
steel and glass, well washed, shouldn't be a problem for anyone as
far I can tell but I'll admit I do use my own teflon pan.

Though this may be a bit extreme on my part I was so sick without
getting well until after I took these measures I only know that this
works for me and you might choose to do the same, but I don't think it
would be necessary for many celiac's to be this careful.  Even the
sugar bowl was a problem as my family uses creamers containing
gluten and then dip the spoon in the sugar and I know it was a source
of contamination for me in the beginning.  I am also careful to cover
GF food cooked in the oven if food with gluten is being cooked at the
same time or the oven hasn't been cleaned since last use with
gluten....You have to be the best judge for your own health
management..."

"I have been diagnosed 4 years and do not use a separate set of pans
or anything for "my" food.  I do make sure I start out with clean cooking
items."